Senior Indirect Tax Accountant (Retail Company)
Twin Cities, MN | Direct Hire
We have been engaged by the Tax Director of a growing retail company with a refreshing way of doing business. Our client recognizes that in order to create a great customer experience, they need to start with their employees. That's why they are committed to ensuring that their employees are "happy, challenged and rewarded". Those rewards include a generous benefits package, employee recognition program, work/life benefits and more.
In response to steady growth, our client has asked us to help identify potential candidates for a Senior Indirect Tax Accountant. This is a unique opportunity to join a team of professionals in an fun and engaging environment.
The Senior Indirect Tax Accountant is responsible for helping ensure compliance in all aspects of transaction tax liabilities by filing tax returns and other reports in a number of different states.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare transaction tax (e.g., sales & use, business & occupation, gross receipts, telecommunications) and Minnesota property tax returns and remittances for monthly, quarterly and annual filings
- Assist in the maintenance and oversight of the tax calendar and exercise responsibility for ensuring that all assigned tax filings are timely
- Compile and organize information for state and local audits
- Build and maintain relations with other key departments including accounting, legal, internal audit, human resources, and the regional offices
- Assist in the management and support of outsourced tax functions
- Assist in the follow-up and resolution of tax notices and correspondence from federal, state and local tax authorities
- Development and implementation of process improvements
- Contribute to special projects as necessary
- Support the accounting group with reconciliation of transaction tax and property tax general ledger accounts as necessary
- Assist in the transition and eventual oversight of unclaimed property
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or other related Business degree; 3 years relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of both education and experience
- 3 years relevant experience overseeing and preparing a large volume of transaction tax returns
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
- Ability to work independently
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills
Keywords: sales and use, sales & use, transaction tax, indirect tax, excise tax, property tax, unclaimed property tax, operating tax.